Saturday, July 11, 2009

Today is food prep day. The list runs:

  1. Prepare the ribs with rub-rub and wrap them up for freezing. I bake the individually wrapped ribs in a foil-covered baking pan at 200 degrees for about three hours before grilling.
  2. Prepare the teriyaki steaks with ginger rub (lots of ginger, and a little powdered onion and garlic, and of course a little black pepper) and wrap them up for freezing. I usually use round eye steaks for this. The cut is a little tough, but again, I bake the individually wrapped pieces in a small, foil-covered baking pan at 200 degrees for about three hours before grilling). That gets them nice and tender. I grill them, brushing on my home-made (homo-made, too, come to think of it!). When they're done, I slice them up thinly using an electric knife and pour a little more teriyaki sauce over them.
  3. Slice, spice and freeze the salmon (I use a little soy, a little olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and ground sage. I wrap the pieces in foil, freeze them. I defrost them the morning before we eat them and grill them up in the foil.
  4. Slice celery for snack packs and for black bean and corn salsa
  5. Prepare black bean and corn salsa and store in refrigerator. This has canned black beans, canned corn, celery, red onion, sweet red peppers some lemon juice, salsa and cumin. I usually have a big helping of this with my lunch.
  6. Slice, mix and store the pepper, cucumber and red onions that form the base for daily dinner salads (I slice the lettuce and tomato just before serving, as these parts get soggy or create sogginess and must be cut in real time).

I just got back from my workout and I actually feel a little tired this time. I went up in arm weights yesterday, and I'm a little sore as a result. I notice that soreness and fatigue correlate really well. This makes good sense. The body is healing and healing takes energy. I don't know if I should make a point of skipping the day after I go up a set. We'll see how sapped I am with the vegetable knife this afternoon.

The dinner menu looks like this:

    SUNDAY: Salmon and salad
    MONDAY: Roast AND salad (this should have leftovers for lunches)
    TUESDAY: Teriyaki and salad
    WEDNESDAY: Barbecue chicken and salad
    THURSDAY: Ribs and salad
    FRIDAY: Steaks and salad.

Craig doesn't mind the repetition of large dinner salads as long as the meat keeps changing. That said, there's too much red meat there and too much use of barbecue and teriyaki sauce. I need to integrate more chicken there. I need to start making stir-fries again. I tend to like stir-fries for lunch, as I tend to like them over brown rice and I like to keep my starchier carbs for earlier in the day. I'm going to have to mull it all over.

Gotta get back to work. I have a lot of vegetables to cut.

No comments: