Sunday, April 11, 2010

Writing Is Now Baseball

Part of writing now is learning to accept that I can't simply impose order on this damned mess in a single, bold stroke the way I did a decade ago (can I have been sick that long?). I need to be patient (I hate that pun) while I plod my way toward coherence. It makes me sick, but that's how this works now and nothing will change it. Writing is a slow boring of hard boards needing passion and perspective. The charismatic version of this was way more fun.

Baseball. Writing is baseball. It's about grinding it out patiently across the long season.

2 comments:

StLee said...

Writing as Football was helpful as a student. Are you going to expand Writing as Baseball into an essay? There are a few ways that you can go with this - stringing hits (good points) together - avoiding double play (topics that meander and/or paragraphs that contradict others) - strike outs (writers are unable to back up points substantially) - pitching to your spots (understanding your audience (confront or stroking their biasses)) etc. lots to go on with this.

Cuphound said...

Brother, I think you've just found yourself an essay! If you can make it work, go for it!

I play around with a lot sports metaphors for school work. There may be a book in it someday. Right now, I just gotta graduate.